Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Thursday, October 13, 2011

So much for the "don't call" list

My wife and I went out to do some banking and get lunch. When we returned, my son told me there was some sort of Ron Paul thing going on on the phone. Unlisted number on caller ID.

He had to hang up his extension so the line would release, and I could test for messages. He hung up, and so did I - waited a few seconds for the line to clear. Picked up the phone - Mr. Paul's thing was still going on.

Tried pressing a few buttons to break the connection - got a message "Your vote has been recorded", and then more debate, or whatever it was.

Tried hanging up and waiting - six times. Each time I picked up, the line was still held up.

Finally, the line released. I'm not sure if it was because I waited just a few seconds longer the last time, or if Mr. Paul finally ran out of things to say.

Mr. Paul, what I want to know, is what if I had had to call 911 on my only land line during your infomercial or whatever you call it?

In Wisconsin, the "do not call" list exempts charities and political callers. A stupid law with no teeth now that so many junk calls use caller ID spoofing to prevent you or the police from calling them back on the number that appears.

No comments:

Post a Comment