Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Glock misfire

Had some friends over today to do some shooting. Took my Glock 19 out, since I intend for that to be my primary carry gun.

Ran a magazine of Winchester ball ammo through it, no problem. On the fifth shot of the second magazine, the gun wouldn't fire.

Waited a minute, in case it was a hangfire, then tried to rack the slide - jammed. The trigger went forward, but when I pulled it, it acted like it wasn't catching the striker properly.

The slide would only go back about 1/8", but that was enough to be able to pull the slide latch down and pull off the slide.

When I examined the back of the chamber, it was obvious that the round was not fully seated and was jamming the barrel. I used my knife to force the cartridge into the chamber, and was able to remove the barrel. Had to use my knife again to extract the round - it was real tight in the chamber.

The round had a light primer strike, and on close inspection, I saw a bulge in the side of the case about 1/4" up from the base. Not a bulge right at the bottom, like on a Glock spent round - this looked almost like the case had been struck on the end and bulged out in the middle of the case wall.

I bought the ammo loose in bulk in an ammo can a while back from one of the online distributors - the ammo can is marked "Factory Reload". I guess this particular case was not sized properly.

What 9mm gun puts a bulge in the middle of the case wall?

No comments:

Post a Comment