Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Credit card fraud

Just got bit. On the way home last night, I tried to use the card to fill up the car - refused.

I had gotten a letter Friday that said a card I had was suspended because of suspicious activity, but the card number didn't click with me, and I was in a hurry, so put off checking. Turns out it was the card I was trying to use last night - somehow, a "test charge" of $0.00 was made to "Proficio Mortgage", and then a $540.00 charge to a Wal-Mart in Lawrence, Kansas - which made the credit card people take notice and put a stop on the card. Another attempt to charge $350 was made after the stop was placed.

Talked to the people at the fraud line this morning - they removed the spurious charge and will be sending out a new card with a new number and an affidavit for me to sign attesting to the fraudulent charge.

My guess is that some online merchant I used recently either is hinky or had someone steal records from them.

Be careful out there.

Now, Wal-Mart will raise prices ever so slightly to cover their loss. I wonder how much inflation is due to fraud like this as opposed to the Fed printing money.

1 comment:

  1. When I buy something online, I use PayPal.
    It's tied to a savings account with only as much money as I want to loose.
    It's backed up with a credit card that's almost maxed out.

    ReplyDelete