Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Monday, November 14, 2011

"Smart" grid?

"Stupid" grid, the way the politicians will implement it. An engineer speaks:

Smart Grid Security?

By M. Simon | Monday, November 14, 2011



M-SimonCan some one please tell me the point of making our electrical grid more hackable than it already is? And please. Don't tell me about "security". Security is only a delaying tactic. Some one who wants to can figure out how to defeat it. If that wasn't so why does Microsoft continually send out security updates? Bad design? And you have a fool proof way of preventing that? Even I have turned out a few clunkers in my long career. So yes. We would have to build more plants than otherwise. But you have to ask yourself what real grid security (flowing electricity) is really worth. In fact I would go further. Dedicated lines with possibly a wireless back-up for ALL remote plants and equipment. If you have to have exposure - minimize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment