Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Range report

Had a couple friends over today to do some target practice. My buddy brought his wife and a friend, and my wife Mari went out back and fired off several hundred rounds of 9mm, 7.62x39, .32, .22LR, and 12ga bird shot. The targets were some paper bullseyes and the rear half of a dead 1966 VW Bug I was going to have the scrap metal guy take away, anyway.

12ga steel bird shot does not penetrate one thickness of old VW body metal at 30 feet. At 20 feet, penetration is iffy, but the quarter panels dented easily.

9mm routinely went though the whole body shell - in one side and out the other. People trying to hide behind car doors during a gunfight, take note!

.32 penetrates almost as well as 9mm. Some rounds were stopped by the opposite side of the body.

.22 sometimes goes through both sides, but less reliably than .32.

My AK-47 cycles pretty reliably in bump-fire mode, if you don't mind precisely where the bullets end up. The gun in question has a muzzle brake - I have to try it without the brake and see if the bump-fire works differently. I also want to make up a bump-fire stock similar to the design I've seen for AR pattern rifles - http://militarygunsupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1082 - but my design will be wood, most likely. For $350, I can buy a LOT of nice stock wood...

The AK rounds probably would have made it through a dozen Beetles parked in a row. Steel case Russian ammo.

Mari did real good with her Ruger Mk III. She wants to shoot more often. Since we have the range right out back, I'm sure going to encourage her!

Now, I've got to go over the range with my metal detector - the grass is JUST long enough to hide brass...

No comments:

Post a Comment