Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Finally - some gun content

Fixed the stock on my home-made AK-47 today. When I made the receiver, I had the top stock tang coming straight off the back of the receiver - not tilted down at around 5 degrees as they ought to be. I bent the lower tang down to fit the standard AK stock, and had to trim off the square plug at the front end of the stock to make it match up. Result - the gun sat too low on my shoulder to get a natural sight picture.

I milled out the bottom tang cutout on a spare stock until I got the proper angle. Trimmed the front of the stock to match to the back of the receiver. The top tang rides above the stock now. I could heat it up and bend it to get a clean fit, but I don't want to ruin the heat-treating and finish of the receiver.

Got to refinish the modified stock. Next time I make up one of these, I'll know better how far to bend the tangs.

For my next trick, I want to make up a bump-fire stock similar to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment