Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Broken golf carts and raccoons

My wife took the Harley golf cart out back to pursue her ongoing war on parsnips in the back CRP field. About an hour later she walked back. Dead cart.

My son and I drove back - the cart had thrown the main belt, and the flywheel was loose. I repaired that about a year ago with a new key way in the flywheel, but the crankshaft key cut was mushroomed, and I tried to do a jury-rig with JB Weld - which held up for almost a full season. Towed it back up to the big garage.

Looks like I'm going to have to tear the motor down all the way and weld up the damaged key cut, and then re-machine the taper and Woodruff key cut.

Son told me about seeing "eyes" up on the roof where we've heard scrabbling sounds lately. Went up with the big flashlight and a mirror on a stick, and verified that there's a hollow space behind the eave over the back part of the house - with a raccoon living in it. At least there's no direct connection to the attic.

Next project - chase out the critter and block off the hollow area.

No comments:

Post a Comment