Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Another message to my rep

I just got woken up by a robocall from (302) 307 1421 about cheap Medicare insurance. I pressed '1' to hear their agent and get a chance to vent at him/her, but it hung up on me. The phone number on Caller ID was spoofed.

15 minutes later, I got a call from (954) 464-6968 - a Robert Weiner, who wanted to ask about that Medicare insurance. I asked him if he had ever heard of the No Call list - he hung up on me.

So, another email to Rep. Pocan:

Dear Rep. Pocan,
Isn't it about time for Congress to address the spate of robocalls and caller ID spoofing? It's 9 PM here and I just got a robocall from 302 307 1421 'Polling Quest' - asking about if I wanted a cheap Medicare policy - just press 1. It got me out of bed. The call hung up on me after I did press 1.

15 minutes later, I got a call from 354 464 6968 'Robert Weiner' - the 'agent for this scam. Asked him if he had ever heard of the 'no call' list. He hung up. I called back - it told me the number was disconnected, but still allowed me to leave a terse message.

How about a law making these calls illegal? How about some prison time for anyone who spoofs a Caller ID signal?

I'm an electrical engineer - and I know it would be trivial for the telcos to make caller ID unspoofable. The only reason they don't is that robocallers pay their phone bills, I expect.
Do something that will have a positive effect on all Americans, instead of just knee-jerk voting' NO on everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment