Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Friday, March 29, 2013

Microsoft bullshit

Microsoft Windows is a big scam.

I bought my main computer, a Gateway FX gamer machine, a couple years ago, with 64-bit Windows 7 installed. I then paid these leeches to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional for my business.

Up until a couple weeks ago, I was running Oracle VirtualBox with Windows XP, so I could run my copy of AutoCAD 2000, which won't even install on 64-bit Windows 7 in XP compatibility mode.

VirtualBox refused to boot XP one day, and for some reason, I can't purge it from my computer so as to do a clean reinstall. So, I looked around, and lo and behold, Microsoft Windows virtual machine is out there.

So - I attempted to download it from Microsoft's website. It wanted to "validate" my Windows installation. I clicked OK, thinking, of course my machine is legitimate, since I bought it though Best Buy, and it is from a well-known manufacturer.

Silly me. The validation failed. There's a button to click to resolve the situation.

Click. Now, I'm presented with a "buy Windows" page. Windows 7 Professional is "only $149.95".

Well, I can either pay their baksheesh, or not do the job I contracted to do for my customers. I got out the credit card.

The receipt page shows one of those 25-character 'keys' they give you that you have to enter to validate your copy of Windows. It even told me how to find the box to enter it in. Only problem there is that they give you a "print" button so you can have a record of your purchase - that prints everything BUT the 'key'. Lucky for me I wrote it down.

Entered the 'key'. Rebooted the computer. Tried to download Windows virtual machine again.




Update - that message comes up every morning now. That's my thanks for giving Bill Gates anotehr $150 I can't afford.

My computer is not running a valid copy of Windows, it tells me. I look for troubleshooting hints. The best bet is to take the CD that comes with the original installation and reinstall Windows.

That's just great. Microsoft decided, without giving me any voice in the matter, that they would utilize the U S Snail for delivery of that disk, sometime in the next few weeks. Until it arrives, I can't use AutoCAD on this machine.

To add insult to injury, when I came home today, there was a nice notice in the middle of the screen telling me that I need to validate my copy if I want to use it without problems. It's really funny that the message only comes up AFTER you try to "do the right thing" by them. I've had this box running for a couple years without ever seeing such a message.

If Ubuntu could run my business CAD software other than in a virtual machine, I would reformat this hard drive and never give Microsoft another penny. Of course I could never buy another new assembled PC since almost all of them come with a Windows product pre-installed - so if I wipe it and install Ubuntu or other OS, I still pay for Bill Gates' great-grand-kids' vacations on the Moon.

1 comment:

  1. Crossover will run AutoCad without Windows...

    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=9097

    ReplyDelete