Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Another letter to the editor

I had to go public after reading that piece of merde from the Beloit College student paper - so here I go again, The Beloit Daily News told me last week they were printing the last one - I don't know if they will print two so close together.

+++++++++++++++


Yesterday, a friend sent me a copy of the Beloit College student paper "Round Table" that contained an editorial by one Sam Becker, Opinions Editor, entitled "Stop protecting Second Amendment rights"

In it, he tells us that "it is not a necessary part of a functional democracy to have people packing heat". I guess he missed that day in history class when they told his class that America is a republic, not a democracy.

He asserts that the Second Amendment was introduced to "preserve the Slave Patrol Militias of the South". I have no idea where this came from. I was taught that the Second Amendment was a reaction to the very recent, at the time, efforts of the British to disarm the colonists, the act that touched off the American Revolution.

He says that the recent push for "arming the general public" - I imagine he is referring to the growth of concealed carry in America - "shows an ignorance of the history of gun support in America".

"The freedom to bear a gun is not a freedom worth defending when it is clear how much gun regulations can do to protect people". I am sure that the victims of the Holocaust would agree that the Weimar Republic's gun controls as interpreted by the Nazi government were quite successful in protecting millions of concentration camp prisoners. Let's not forget the millions killed after being disarmed in the Soviet Union, China, Cambodia, and various "democratic" countries in Africa. The total for the 20th Century approaches 300 million.

I have to wonder how this person managed to get into Beloit College with such an abominable grasp of history and how the world works. Is he a typical result of our public educational system?

+++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment