Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Monday, September 3, 2012

Vehicle maintenance

In the past two months, I've done quite a bit of needed repairs on various vehicles.

I rebuilt the C5 transmission in my 1984 F150. First American automatic I've ever touched - and it runs like new. If it lasts as long as the inline 6 I rebuilt in the same truck - 28,000 miles - I'll be happy.

Put a new steering gear in my 1991 VW Vanagon. Ended up replacing all the hard lines to it, as the originals finally disintegrated from rust - the torsion of disconnecting them snapped 'em right off. All the Bus needs now is a good brake bleeding, and some body work.

The local golf cart shop near Rockford had a used motor just like the one I have with the chewed-up crankshaft - $100. Had to transfer the piston and cylinder from the original motor to the new one as the new one had a destroyed piston. It ran great until the centrifugal clutch / spring loaded pulley transmission started throwing the big belt. The aluminum spring-loaded driven pulley's thrust collar disintegrated - so I made a new one out of steel. My wife now can get to the back of the property with her gardening stuff again. What with the drought, at least there wasn't a whole lot of work to do back there while the cart was broken.

Had my 1978 Yamaha XS650 die on the way to work a few weeks back - lost power and blew a whole lot of oil smoke. Turns out the cheap gas I was running, coupled with too much advance on the right cylinder caused destructive detonation.


Now I know what that rattling noise on hard acceleration was...

Two new pistons and rings, and new head and cylinder base gaskets. The bike runs better than ever - I don't think the rings ever seated properly after the last rebuild - probably because I neglected to re-hone the cylinder when I had to pull the engine apart last Spring. Lesson learned. I'm running ethanol-free 93 octane from now on.

Still to do - body work on my 1963 Beetle, and a new rear lid and left side center section clip on the Vanagon. I really need a bigger garage...

No comments:

Post a Comment