Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Thursday, July 5, 2012

SOS answered

Back in June, my email and web server, running Ubuntu 11.10, needed to reboot after a routine update - so I clicked "OK".

Bad move - on reboot, the grub bootloader couldn't find the boot code. No amount of effort on my part could fix this - evidently the update stepped on something critical.


So, I reloaded Ubuntu from the CD - thinking I could simply follow the online setup instructions I used last time to recover my web site and email server, The web server came right back - but email?

Bad assumption - the how-to now installs imap in place of pop3, and evidently was not strictly compatible with Ubuntu 11.10. Spent the better part of three weeks fighting with postfix and courier - finally broke down and cried for help on the Rockford Linux users group list.

Got an email from Dan yesterday, who was not otherwise involved with 4th of July festivites. He drove out here and spent half the day and well into the night beating the system into submission.

So, I've now got email back. Next task is to get the backup Ubuntu box running so this never happens again. And, I've made a new friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment