Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Concealed carry report

So, I've had my CCW license for two weeks. Carried every day, all day.

I've been carrying a S&W Model 19 with 2 1/2" barrel in a Blackhawk! 00 in the waistband holster. This model has no retention strap. The instruction sheet that comes with the holster talks about the strap, and the packaging says nothing about this lack. I called their customer service, and was told that there's two models.

Unless I place the gun just so on my right hip, it has a tendency to ride up out of the holster. If I get it in exactly the proper position, all is well. It conceals well when set right, but is too easy to get wrong. It's pretty comfortable, but I definitely would get the model with the strap.

I'm going to find a similar holster for my Glock 19, with a retention strap, and see if that works better. The Glock is thinner than the Smith.

I still want to find a proper shoulder holster. I think that will work out better than the IWB if I want to ride my bike when the weather gets nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment