Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Immigration?

The Beloit Daily News has been running a series on Hispanics in Beloit. Evidently, there has been a 50% increase in Hispanics here between 2000 and 2010, while the total population only grew by about 6%.

That's fine - if these people are working to become Americans, and integrating into our society, I applaud them.

It appears that the school district of Beloit is bending over backwards to make sure most of the young people from these families will be stuck in the barrio.

One article made a big point of bilingual education. Spanish-speaking students are not only taught in their native language, they are offered classes in "formal Spanish", I guess that's akin to what us native-born had to go through as "English" class.

These students are also offered "English as a Second Language" (ESL) classes. Wouldn't do to make them become fluent and dependent on English, so they would be able to fit into our society seamlessly.

My grandparents on my Dad's side came over from Germany in the 1870's. My father-in-law's father came over around the same time. Both my Dad and my wife's Dad spoke Midwest English with a smattering of Deutsch picked up from listening to private conversations between their parents. The kids were going to be Americans, and damned if they would be allowed to speak anything but American English at home!

The liberal educators seem to think that Hispanics are too stupid to learn English by immersion.

I want to know - if I were to travel to Mexico, would my children in Mexican schools have English speaking translators so they wouldn't have to learn Spanish? Would I be able to go to most businesses in the backwoods and expect to be served by English speakers?

I think not.

One of today's articles was titled:

For some, lack of legal status can cause difficulties


Well, duh.


No comments:

Post a Comment