Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Email to Herman Cain

Herman Cain has a website for his Presidential exploratory committee, and is requesting feedback. I had just watched this video - thanks, A Trainwreck in Maxwell - and wanted to share my childhood experience.

My email:

Mr. Cain,

Just saw the video of you talking about segregated water fountains. Thought you might like to hear my experience.

When I was maybe 10 - back in 1961 or '62 - my parents took me on a trip down south from Chicago. I had no idea what segregation was. We were in a store or mall - I remember seeing a wire cage with a chicken in it, and a coin slot, with a sign - 5 cents to see the chicken dance - the cage would shock the chicken, I guess - my Dad said it was cruel, so I never saw the performance.

Anyway, I was thirsty - and there were two water fountains nearby - "white" and "colored". I went up to the "colored" one, as I wanted to see what color the water was. It looked pretty clear to me.

My Dad rushed over to get me away from there, but did not explain - just told me not to do that any more.

That's my story. I never learned prejudice, could not see the logic in it. If you get to the primaries in Wisconsin, be assured you have my vote!
++++++++++++++
Well, that WOULD have been my email, except for the 250 character message limit - why don't they warn you in the web page or as you are typing? Truncated it:
++++++++++++++

Mr. Cain,

I would have shared my "colored water" experience from my youth, but the 250-character limit prevents it.
You have my vote!
 ++++++++++++++
Wouldn't it be neat if I get a reply and request for the rest of the message?

No comments:

Post a Comment