Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Email to Senator Tim Cullen

Just sent this to my favorite fleebagger:

Dear Senator Cullen,

I just heard on the radio that you have an issue with Wisconsin's new concealed carry law, in particular that people or businesses that post "no weapons" signs will have to bear responsibility for any incidents that result from such a posting, while people or businesses who do not post will be legally shielded from responsibility for the actions of people who might be armed.

I don't see your problem. It is obvious to me that one who posts a sign requiring visitors to disarm before entering should bear full responsibility for his actions, just as someone who removes the fire extinguishers from a public building must accept responsibility for any injury or death his actions cause.

It is also obvious to me that a business or person cannot morally be held responsible for the acts of another. If someone comes into your home and starts shooting, possibly injuring me, while I am visiting you, do you really think I would be justified in suing you or your insurer for my injuries? On the other hand, if you had required me to leave my weapon at home before visiting, I would feel justified in suing, as without my defensive weapon, I was left helpless.

The person shooting bears total responsibility for his acts, legal or otherwise. The person stripping others of their rights also bears total responsibility for this act.

Recently, the Wisconsin Legislature passed the "castle doctrine" act, which allows the use of deadly force to protect one's home or property in certain circumstances. Again, this is correct - the criminal must accept the consequences of his acts, as must the property owner, if they act wrongly.

Self-defense is a basic, God-given right, not granted by our Constitution. The Second Amendment and Wisconsin's equivalent do not confer any rights - they simply prohibit the various governments from ever infringing on the right to defend oneself and one's property, with deadly force if justified. That our various governments have been allowed to enact laws in violation of the Constitution is shameful, but at least Wisconsin and other states have taken the first steps toward rectifying this wrong.

Regards,

Chuck Kuecker

No comments:

Post a Comment