Day by Day Cartoon by Chris Muir

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Civil disobedience

Last night on the way home from work, I heard some high-up in the Wisconsin State Police explaining how Wisconsin is now a "primary enforcement" state for seat belt compliance, and how now the police can pull you over and fine you for not buckling up - and how "this isn't to get more fines, it's to make you safer".

Bullcrap. Firstly, it's blackmail from DC to either lose tax money stolen from Wisconsin drivers or to pass this law, and secondly, local jurisdictions get a portion of every fine they issue, so of course the police chiefs are going to tell the patrolling officers to enforce this law.

At least - so far - I haven't seen the idiotic signs Ill-Annoys put up in some places alerting drivers that "seat belt enforcement" is the "primary enforcement activity" - so don't worry about the cops being available to catch truly dangerous drivers, rapists, murderers, or burglars - they will be using night-vision devices (not here, so far!) to see if you are buckled in.

Do these stupid "legislators" and bureaucrats ever stop to think that basic human nature is to resist authority? Pass a law requiring some behavior, and a substantial proportion of the population will go out of their way to avoid that behavior, even if they would have done it voluntarily if not goaded by Big Brother. Sugar attracts more flies than vinegar.

When I got my first car, I went out of my way to install front and rear seat shoulder belts, even though back in 1969 my 1968 Beetle did not require them under federal law. I did this because I wanted to be safe in my personal vehicle, and I wanted my passengers to be as safe as possible. I didn't wear my belts because some pencil-neck bureaucrat decreed Ill-Annoys would lose federal highway tax money if the state didn't enforce a cockamamie law.

Immediately after that WSP official started spouting about "primary enforcement", I unbuckled my belt and drove the rest of the way unprotected. I made my anonymous statement.

In a few days, I'll start buckling up again. I just pray that WI isn't stupid enough to pass a mandatory helmet law for motorcyclists - I really hate riding bareheaded. My eyes tear up from the wind, and my hearing gets abused.

Bumper sticker idea: "I DON'T WEAR SEAT BELTS BECAUSE SOME IDIOTS IN WASHINGTON OR MADISON TELL ME TO!". When the cops pull me over because of it, and find me wearing the belt, I get a chance to educate them. Also, a chance for an harassment suit if it happens too often. :)

Another idea for a Constitutional amendment - "Congress and the several states shall make no law pertaining solely to personal safety or health. Any existing law pertaining solely to personal safety or health is hereby repealed, and any federal or state agency concerned with personal safety or health is hereby eliminated". That ought to eliminate a whole bunch of federal bureaus and laws on the books right there, and help our deficit problem.

Safety in the workplace - OSHA - is rightly the business of business and industry - enforced by lawsuits against those businesses who put people at unreasonable risk, and encouraged by the insurance companies with lower premiums for industries that take care of their employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment